January 19, 2006

Suffer The Children (Tears For Fears)

I pretty much raised my 3 children alone. Their father has contributed next to nothing in support. In America this is pretty typical. The court system has little to no concern about children unless you are on welfare. And you are on welfare, the child support office will make more of an effort to collect support. But you are forced off welfare once the children are a certain age and basically shit out of luck if you have a deadbeat parent. I could buy a home with what my ex husband owes me in child support. But the courts will not do anything to enforce payment. Maybe the U.S. should take a look at the how Sweden does it. The parent gets their child support from the Government. It isn't welfare. It's child support. The government sends the bill to the other parent. The parent raising the children can pay their bills and take care of their children. They don't have to worry about robbing Peter to pay Paul *hopefully* and the children are taken care of as they deserve. The other parent has a debt with the Government. Maybe I am crazy, but I really like that idea! What do you think?

No comments: