January 30, 2006

A Dogs Prayer (Smashing Pumpkins)




I have 2 dogs. Saga and Ky. I brought them with me when I moved. I call them "The Girls". I love my dogs, probably more then some humans I know. They were born in Florida. They are both 5 years old. Saga is an Akita/Shepherd mix. She has a beautiful brindle coat and lots of it. Ky is a cat in a small dogs body. We aren't sure what she is. The Humane Society has her breed as a Chihuahua/Shepherd mix but I don't think it's possible. She really looks like she has terrier in her. Needless to say the dog has very little fur and is bald on her belly. Our friends are always asking "How are the dogs taking the cold?" Well Saga is in heaven! She has discovered wild animal smells and is now "Saga The Huntress!" OK, in her mind anyway. It is comical to watch her when we take the girls out for their walks. Saga buries her head in the snow up to her shoulders smelling, sniffing and tracking. All you can see is the back half of her. When she isn't tracking, she likes to sit out on the porch and watch for wild animals.
Ky tries to track like Saga, but she has short legs and doesn't like the cold snow on her belly. If Saga goes into deep snow, Ky stands and bitches at her from the road, then always makes sure to bite Saga when she gets back just to show her who's boss. When it is snowing, she bites at the snowflakes like they are flies. Ky is a real trooper though. She has only cried once about being cold, and we immediately brought her in. Lars bought her a new fleece coat last week. She didn't look like she liked it too much, but she will get used to it. Maybe now she can go tracking moose!

No comments: