January 20, 2006

Here Comes ..Tomte?


Christmas arrives here in Sweden on December 24th. This was my first Christmas abroad. I was excited and nervous with anticipation because I didn't know what to expect or what was expected of me.
Like many families, we gathered at a designated family members home. In our case it was my in laws Sture and Anette's home. We watched the traditional Christmas show called "Kalle Anka". Kalle Anka translated is Donald Duck! The cartoons are a collection of old Disney cartoons and movies from the 40's to now. It is shown at the same time every year and a Swedish tradition. The children could hardly keep still as they anxiously awaited for the arrival of Tomte.
Tomte is the Swedish version of Santa Claus. He is a gnome-like, old man with long hair wearing a red and white cap. Tomte hands out the gifts to everyone. I read that in some families, a rhyme or riddle must be solved before the gift can be opened. I am really glad my family doesn't do that. I'd probably be still sitting here with an unopened gift! I am not sure exactly what tradition is as to who plays Tomte. I think generally someone offers to play Tomte, but Lars informed me that some people are paid to go around to different homes as Tomte. The children here, like the kids in the U.S. eventually figure it out. This year, our nephew Sebastian was asked to play Tomte. He was SO EXCITED!
I can speak from experience living in the U.S. that Christmas is a very stressful and expensive holiday. As parents we want to give your children and family everything they wish for and desire and in exchange you get into debt and lose a bit of your sanity. I don't know if it is the media or our culture or both that pound it into our heads that more is better. I think some parents think by giving their children everything they want is showing them they love them. I am guilty of doing this myself. Thankfully, I learned it isn't.
The stores in the U.S. have sales that create riots and put customers in danger. I have a former co-worker whose mother in law was trampled on Black Friday (The day after Thanksgiving in the U.S.) when trying to get into a store that was offering something that apparently many people wanted. In Sweden, they have sales at their stores, but I haven't seen a mob waiting outside the doors to get in. I think most people do not give expensive or tons of gifts to their children here. Many of the gifts are homemade. It brings to mind the saying "It's the thought that counts." OK back to Christmas.
After Donald Duck and Tomte is my favorite subject....FOOD! I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I know fish was involved and I am not a fish person. Among the foods were Julskinka or Christmas ham and salmon pate with a dill sauce. There were cold cuts with interesting names like "horsemeat" that really weren't horse. There was a traditional dish called Jonsson's Temptation. This is a combination of sliced potatoes, onions, anchovies and cream. It may sound gross but I can tell you it is very delicious! Like I stated before, I do not like fish. In the U.S. I was the only member of our Sushi Club that didn't eat the stuff. lol They also served boiled potato, köttbullar or meatballs, mini hotdogs, beets, pickles, bread. I tried everything. I didn't like everything, but I gave it a try. It was a lovely experience.

No comments: