August 23, 2008

Raspberry Beret (Prince)

Pet Advice: Never take your raspberry eating dog raspberry picking.
Yesterday I decided to try and pick some of the last of the wild raspberries that grow along the roads where we walk the dogs. Big mistake! Princess Kyra Fay (aka Sunny Butt, Stinkerbell) tried to eat whatever she could pull off the bushes while Lars and I tried to pick them. She's also pretty good at looking sad while you throw them in the bag instead of giving them to her. I tried to make her feel better by telling her she will get to taste them after in whatever I make with them. Needless to say I think Ky ate close to what we put in the bag.
Last weekend I picked rödvinbär (Red Current). This was such a good berry year! I didn't pick any svartvinbär (Black Current) but I know where there is a large bush and will ask my neighbor if I can pick some. There was a mushroom explosion this week. I will probably be out getting some mushrooms tomorrow to cook and freeze. They grew so quickly that there are stones on the caps of them.
Next week I think the lingon will be ready for picking. I am experimenting with different berries to use with cakes. There is something really nice about using ingredients you have grown or handpicked yourself.

No comments: