February 02, 2006

Winter (Tori Amos)




Warning! Graphic Content!
Yesterday at school, a teacher came in to our class to tell us something. She was speaking in Swedish, and from the look on everyones face that could understand her, I knew whatever she was telling them wasn't good. She was telling us about Viral Gastroenteritis. Also known as "Winter Sickness" and "Winter Vomiting Disease". It occurs during winter, comes on suddenly and whoever the unlucky sap is that gets it usually has to sit on the toilet and hold a bucket at the same time for roughly 3 days. Schools, daycare and businesses have closed down due to this seasonal virus.
You should stay away from other people if you do contract it as it is highly contagious. They tell people to wash their hands with hot, soapy water, close the lid of the toilet before they flush, use a bucket instead of the toilet when vomitting, wash any clothing your wore or slept in to kill the germs and pray or learn how to. People who contract it also should drink a lot of something with salt and sugar in it to prevent dehydration and pray.
While Anna-Stina translates this I am getting sick. Mind you it is all in my head. For someone like me who has a comically mild case of OCD, this is trouble. Nervously I look around at my classmates to see if anyone even looks just a little like vomitting. Then I grope around in my bookbag searching for my little bottle of alcohol hand cleaner which I carry with me at all times. I find it to my relief. There is danger everywhere, even in my beautiful Sweden.

http://www.shb.ie/content-1259747958_1.cfm

1 comment:

Loll said...

Hej Peggy!
Found your blogg through The Paper Maniac (Fanny that is) LOL..
Nice to read what you are up to!
I have a blog too, but in Swedish, you can take a peak on my photos though, mostely from Stockholm
www.lycklig.blogspot.com
Take care
Lo