March 06, 2006

Background Scenery (Nick Annis)






When I get up in the morning, I have learned to check the thermometer before I go out. Since anything below 65F/18.33C is still cold to me it really doesn’t make too much sense, but still I faithfully check every morning. This morning it was -14.8F/-25C. This is the coldest so far since I have lived here. I wasn’t very anxious to walk the dogs. In order to be warm I have to put on my “layers”. I wear thermals, pants, a turtleneck, a wool blend sweater, 2 pair of cotton socks and 1 pair wool socks, wool hat and scarf, snow mobile suit, boots and a pair of heavy cotton gloves covered with wool mittens. It is remarkable I can walk at all really, but I have embraced the warmth and try to forget that I look like Frankenstein when I am walking.
When it is this cold out, my eyes water when I first go out. Even Saga who loves this weather gets cold. Ky walks long enough to do her business then jumps up for me to perch up on my shoulder. We stop occasionally so I can massage Saga’s cold paw when she lifts it and hops around. This morning while we were walking it began to snow. It sparkled in the sunlight. It looked like someone was shaking fairy dust over us! It made me forget for just a few minutes that my eyelashes were half frozen together; I had lost all feeling in the left side of my face and the 20-pound dog on my shoulder.
After our walk, I was sitting at my PC drinking my morning tea. Saga started whining at the window. I got up to see several deer grazing in the pasture across the road. I remembered last nights beautiful sunset. It really is beautiful here. If you get a chance, give Nick Annis a listen.

1 comment:

Loll said...

Hej Peggy, nice wiev yo've got there! It seems a bit hard to start out with this extremly cold winter, in fact down here - it hasn't been like this for seventeen years. But its like you say, on with a lots of cloths. Hard breading instn't it?